If you have suffered or are still experiencing domestic abuse, then mediation, in all likelihood, will not be suitable in your case but it would be advisable for you to come in and have a meeting with us on your own, so we can fully assess the situation. Our mediators have over 20 years’ experience in working with those who have suffered and also perpetrated domestic abuse.

It may be that you are able to obtain legal aid through solicitors to have advice and be represented in court. You have to provide documentary evidence of the domestic abuse to the solicitor at your first appointment. You only need to provide one off the list. You must pay any costs involved in obtaining this evidence yourself.

  • That the other person has a criminal conviction for a domestic violence offence upon you or for a child abuse offence against a child you are seeking to protect (unless the conviction is spent)
  • That there are on-going criminal proceedings against the other party for a domestic violence offence involving you
  • That the other party has a received police caution for a domestic violence offence within the 24 months before your application for legal aid
  • That a non-molestation, occupation or forced marriage protection order has been made in the last 24 months against the other party
  • A copy of an undertaking by the other person to the court within the last 24 months, where you did not make a cross undertaking
  • A copy of a Finding of fact by a court within the last 24 months that you are the victim of domestic violence perpetrated by the other party or there has been child abuse by the other person where you are seeking to protect the child
  • Written confirmation from a MARAC Chair that a Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference has been held on you within the last 24 months
  • A letter from a domestic violence refuge confirming that in the last 24 months you have been admitted for a period of not less than 24 hours
  • A letter from a medical practitioner, including a health visitor, that they have seen you within the last 24 months and they have reasonable grounds to believe you have an injury or a condition as result of domestic violence
  • A letter from Social services confirming that an assessment within last 24 months concluded domestic violence was a relevant factor or an assessment within last 24 months concluded the child whom you are seeking to protect is at risk of abuse from the other party
  • A letter from Social Services confirming that a Child Protection Plan has been in place in the last 24 months to protect the child who is the subject of the proceedings from abuse by or including abuse by the person from whom you are seeking to protect the child


If you are experiencing domestic abuse, dial 999 in an emergency.

Support is available through the national free helpline 0808 2000 247 or locally.

If you live in Leicester, call 03001230918, Loughborough 01509 552549, Harborough 07866 816454, Hinckley 0116 2727785, Blaby 0116 2750555, Melton and Rutland 0116 2426640 (Womens Aid Leicester Limited).

If you are a man, call 0808 801 0327 (Respect) or 0116 242 6440

If you are a perpetrator (whether male or female) of domestic abuse, you can call 0808 802 4040

Contact us for further information on this specialist service. Open: 9am – 5pm


If you are concerned someone may monitor your internet use, then delete your history and cache.

Cover Your Tracks – click for advice